Important Industry Update
I am writing you today to share a situation that has been brewing on capital hill for some time and is getting very close to becoming a reality. The Department of Labor wants to change the way an American works with their financial advisors regarding IRA accounts. We at Beacon Financial Group are able to do both fee based and commission based programs, and currently there is freedom of choice for the product a client and advisor can choose. Some clients feel it is appropriate to have a fee based relationship and others feel the commission program is more suitable. Most likely this will end soon as a ruling is currently being finalized by the Department of Labor to change this structure. It is very likely that advisors and clients may be limited to products and may need to change the current relationship that exists with an advisor helping you with a retirement account.
I have always believed that there was democracy in this country and a very thorough process with checks and balances for a ruling or a law to be passed. It was my understanding that thoughtful debate and hearing opinions from all sides would determine the proper outcome. Additionally, our leaders would have the ability to listen to their constituents and share those opinions with the rule makers before a final decision was made. The current status of the proposed regulation feels like it has been done very quickly. the proposal was filed with the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) on January 28, 2016 and the OMB is expected to respond in less than the 90 days permitted under the law. It will then be posted in the Federal Register with an effective date that is no less than 60 days after publication to allow for Congressional review.
Ironically, The majority of advisors I speak to as well as almost every client who has an IRA account is totally unaware of the potential "game changer" being proposed by the U.S. Department of Labor. They are proposing that all IRA accounts need to fall under the DOL's Fiduciary standard for retirement plans under the ERISA act of 1974. What that means to you is any IRA account that you have, whether it is managed at Beacon Financial Group or somewhere else may need to change. It may even go so far to say that the advisor or firm that you are working with cannot continue to provide advice to you on specific, existing products or programs. There is also a chance that some investments will never get an exemption or be an "approved" investment according to DOL and may need to be liquidated or removed from the IRA. It has always been our philosophy, at Beacon Financial Group, to support the clients right to choose their investment options and how to pay for it.
As of now, the final ruling is expected later this month or early April and it is premature to predict exactly what will happen with client accounts. Regardless of what comes out from the DOL in the next month or so, BFG is working hard with our current product sponsors and NPC to come up with solutions to help make our relationship with you seamless.
Click Here to read more on this topic
Stephen C. Locker, CFP
Chief Executive Officer
Beacon Financial Group
The opinions voiced are for general information only. They are not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual and do not constitute an endorsement. There are no guarantees that any managed portfolio will meet its intended objective. Neither diversification nor asset allocation can ensure a profit or protect against a loss. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
We sincerely appreciate you as a client and look forward to servicing all of your financial planning needs. We would appreciate you sharing this newsletter and our services with anyone whom you think may be interested!
Beacon Financial Group
101 Town Center Dr. Suite 111 Warren NJ 07059
Securities and advisory services offered through LPL Financial, a Registered Investment Adviser. Member FINRA/SIPC.
Sign up with your email address to receive our monthly newsletter:
Recent Blog Posts
- Nov 14, 2018 Is Generation X Preparing Adequately for Retirement? Nov 14, 2018
- Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018
- Nov 8, 2018 When You Retire Without Enough Nov 8, 2018
- Nov 6, 2018 Investing Means Tolerating Some Risk Nov 6, 2018
- Oct 30, 2018 Let's Think "Outside the Box" Ways to Save Oct 30, 2018
- Oct 29, 2018 Let's Think "Outside the Box" Ways to Save Oct 29, 2018
- Oct 25, 2018 What are the Elements of a Healthy Financial Plan? Oct 25, 2018
- Oct 24, 2018 Thoughts on the Market Sell-Off Oct 24, 2018
- Feb 16, 2016 What are the Elements of a Healthy Financial Plan? Feb 16, 2016
- Jan 14, 2016 How can life insurance help pay for college? Jan 14, 2016
- Jan 14, 2016 Three Key Ingredients to Building a Satisfying Financial Solution Jan 14, 2016
- Jan 7, 2016 Estate Planning with Life Insurance Jan 7, 2016
- Jan 7, 2016 Annuity Maximization Jan 7, 2016
- Dec 22, 2015 Using Life Insurance to Maximize Your Pension Benefits Dec 22, 2015
- Dec 17, 2015 Maximizing Your Pension Dec 17, 2015
- Dec 10, 2015 Using Life Insurance for Pension Maximization (Video) Dec 10, 2015
- Dec 8, 2015 New Budget Law Means Changes to Your Social Security and Medicare Benefits Dec 8, 2015
- Nov 24, 2015 Long Term Care Insurance Nov 24, 2015
- Nov 24, 2015 November is Long Term Care Awareness Month Nov 24, 2015
- Nov 24, 2015 Long Term Care Facts Nov 24, 2015
- Nov 24, 2015 What Does LTC (Long Term Care) Include? Nov 24, 2015
- Nov 24, 2015 How Can You Pay for LTC (Long Term Care)? Nov 24, 2015
- Nov 24, 2015 What role will families play in future caregiving? Nov 24, 2015
- Nov 24, 2015 What is the likelihood you will need LTC? Nov 24, 2015
- Nov 24, 2015 Won't the government pay for Long-Term Care services? Nov 24, 2015
- Nov 12, 2015 Do you know the difference between term, whole, and universal life insurance? Nov 12, 2015
- Nov 10, 2015 Stocks, ETFs and Mutual Funds - Quick Overview Nov 10, 2015
- Nov 5, 2015 Top 10 Reasons to have Life Insurance Nov 5, 2015
- Nov 3, 2015 Am I Properly Diversified? Nov 3, 2015
- October 2015
- Sep 22, 2015 How to Maximize Your Pension Benefits Sep 22, 2015
- Sep 17, 2015 Insurance Division Announcement Sep 17, 2015
- Sep 8, 2015 Which IRA Is Right For You? Sep 8, 2015
- Sep 3, 2015 Putting Pullbacks in Perspective Sep 3, 2015
- Sep 1, 2015 Volatility Doesn't Equal Loss - Unless You Sell Sep 1, 2015
- Aug 26, 2015 Am I Properly Diversified? Aug 26, 2015
- Jul 22, 2015 Paying for College with Tax-Free Money Jul 22, 2015
- April 2015